Sunday, April 27, 2008

BSG is stinky

On top of the disappointing 1/2 season of South Park (which Stu amply covers below), the best drama on television is completely lacking 20% of the way into the season. Battlestar Galactica is completely underwhelming. Can't believe I'm typing it but it's true.

I'm not a Star Wars fan but I have a few friends who are (sidenote: all but one of them get laid consistently), and I've heard them complain that the new trilogy feels like the plot volume of one movie stretched out over three. I feel the same about Battlestar season 4. I have no doubt that Ronald Moore knows exactly how BSG is going to end and I'm even more sure it's going to be brilliant. I'm just don't know if he needs 20 episodes to get there. What we've seen in the first four held enough story for one mediocre season premiere. A minor character dies. Blah. Starbuck returns and no one bats an eyelash? Please. Even Baltar is beginning to lose his charm; he's become a babbling, pathetic schmuck as opposed to the glib, egomaniacal schmuck we loved to hate over the last three seasons. The most interesting story in the new season thus far has been the Cylon dispute/possible civil war. And more so than WHO the final cylon is (they've played this card 8 times and it lost its shock value after Boomer) I feel the more interesting mystery is WHY the final five are different.

Most cable shows are serial/episodic hybrids, which gives them an edge: If the story doesn't go anywhere, you can still have a great individual episode. And if the episodic story sucks, the show can still be saved by moving the overall plot forwards. Aye, there's the rub: Thus far, BSG hasn't delivered on either end.

Note: You know how slumping athletes (outside of NY) get a pass from the fans because of all they've done for the team in years past? Well, BSG has earned my trust. No matter how many episodes continue to disappoint me, I have no doubt in my mind that the next one will blow me away.

No comments: